What is CSR and what does it mean to the HFMA?
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is about how the HFMA aligns activities to the expectations of stakeholders in relation to economic, social and environmental impacts. The HFMA aims to embed CSR into everything it does and to be a responsible organisation.
Managing environmental impacts
- Continually improve environmental performance wherever practicable and prevent pollution (reducing environmental impacts associated with operations).
- Make the most efficient and effective use of all resources, encouraging all staff to develop a sustainable approach to their work.
- Minimise carbon emissions from business travel by avoiding unnecessary travel and travelling by public transport unless there are reasons why this is not practicable or if there are other circumstances that would impede efficiency or effectiveness.
- Encourage staff to use sustainable modes of transport to commute to work – eg cycle to work.
- Identify and implement cost-effective energy and water conservation measures.
Reduce the amount of waste generated and disposed to landfill through a waste minimisation and recycling programme – eg paper/card.
- Manage the building in an environmentally and biodiversity-sensitive manner.
The HFMA is committed to maintaining existing certifications
- Health and Safety at Work 1974 and Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Risk assessment and safe working practices
- Information, supervision and competency for tasks and training
- Handling of accidents and emergency procedures
- Audit and review of management systems procedures
- Manual handing
- Appropriate insurance
- Work with suppliers to help achieve sustainable and socially responsible procurement policy aspirations in the delivery of products and services – eg paper from sustainable forestry.
- Support the principles of fair trade and aim to purchase fair trade where possible – eg tea, coffee.
The HFMA’s key suppliers should work towards complying with the following standards
- Maintain effective policies and procedures to manage their environmental impact
- Respect fundamental human rights including worker representation
- Have a positive impact on the communities in which they operate
- Maintain and evidence of responsible health and safety policies
- Be committed to a comprehensive policy of equal opportunities in employment
- Adopt ethical business practices with respect to business behaviour of individuals and the organisation as a whole
- Manage their carbon footprint
- Respect the rights and dignity of every employee and treat them fairly and without discrimination complying to all anti-discriminatory legislation - age discrimination, sex discrimination, equal pay, race relations, disability discrimination as well as an equality and diversity policy.
- Promote the health and well-being of staff – eg managing hours (work/life balance).
- Encourage team working and the sharing of knowledge throughout the organisation.
- Provide a safe, fulfilling and rewarding career for all employees
Potential HFMA employees
- To demonstrate an active promotion of equality and diversity through the application of recruitment and employment policies that will ensure individuals are treated fairly, equitably and consistently and that selection decision are based on relevant knowledge, skills, aptitudes and abilities.
In the community
- Encourage and support staff who wish to undertake voluntary activities to do so.
- Enable staff to continue to support at least one charitable organisation every year through voluntary fundraising activities and to give them the time and opportunity to participate in charitable events.
- We will develop community programmes which support brand values and further promote HFMA’s recognition as an active contributor to local community development
Working with the healthcare sector
- Make sustainable development a part of the programme for the future development of the sector.
- Identify possible impacts on sustainable development and on equality and diversity.
Where possible take action to enhance positive impacts and mitigate negative ones.