Value should be the foundation stone for wise decision making.
The NHS is at a critical point with a new long term plan and a significant move towards system working. There is a growing appreciation that taking a value-based approach is key to delivering high-quality sustainable healthcare.
One of the Institute’s key priorities is looking at ways to put the theory of value-based healthcare into practice. With this in mind, the Institute is working with Future Focused Finance (FFF) to deliver the Best Possible Value Decision Framework
. The framework is a set of tools which help NHS organisations to work through a decision or project using value (measured as outcomes over costs) as the main driver.
The Institute and FFF are also currently offering NHS organisations the opportunity to have a BPV facilitator come to their organisations and guide the key stakeholders for a particular decision through the framework ensuring every option is considered and ultimately, the best value choice is identified. Once one project has been successfully completed with the support of a facilitator, it is much easier to apply the principles to other areas.
Please contact Institute@hfma.org.uk
if one or more of the following apply:
• I have a defined decision which you would like to work through using the BPV decision framework
• I would like to promote the principles of value within my organisation or system
• I am looking for a facilitated project to promote effective working within a multi-disciplinary team
• I am looking to upskill project management, finance or colleagues from other areas with specific value and project management skills.
To compliment the BPV Decision Framework, we have created a series of Bitesize documents that share some of the principles of the framework and can be used as part of everyday decision making in the NHS:
• Writing a value focused business case
• Framing decisions for value
• Add value to your meetings
• Moving from implementation to high value performance
Further details about the Best Possible Value Decision Framework are available from the FFF website here.