The HFMA annual conference is the most important event of the year for finance professionals in the NHS. HFMA 2015 was no exception to this with around 750 delegates attending over the three days. The conference provided the perfect setting for hearing the latest thinking from NHS leaders as well as gaining some insights from high profile people outside of our sector. It provided plenty of opportunities to catch up with old colleagues and meet new ones and to share experiences and ideas across organisations.
The President’s theme for 2015, Stronger Together, was about finance professionals building their own resilience and working across boundaries to improve the strength and sustainability of organisations and the services they provide.
The conference provided a varied and interesting programme of events. The main stage events kicked off with Professor Dame Sue Bailey, Chair of the Academy of Royal Colleges and continued with Lord Carter of Coles, who provided delegates with some insights into the valuable work he is doing on efficiency. We were also delighted to have Jim Mackey, the new Chief Executive of NHS Improvement as well as the key leaders of NHS finance who were able to give us their take on the financial challenges we face and the impact of the Comprehensive Spending Review.
Professor Lynda Gratton, a global authority on the people impact of strategies was also on stage, talking to us about the changing world of work. On the final day of the conference we had Clive Myrie, award winning journalist and foreign correspondent and Alistair Campbell, strategist, writer and former Director of Communications and Press Secretary to Tony Blair.
Other speakers included:
Andrew Baigent, Director of Group Finance, NHS, Department of Health
Paul Baumann, Chief Financial Officer, NHS England
Bob Alexander, Chief Executive, NHS TDA
Dr Clifford Mann, President, Royal College of Emergency Medicine
Dr Johnny Marshall, Director of Policy, NHS Confederation
Dr Charles Alessi, Senior Adviser, Public Health England
What the delegates said:
- I've come back to work feeling energised and excited about the challenges and opportunities ahead.
- Couldn't ask for more than that from a HFMA event
- As my first HFMA conference and as someone very new to NHS finance I found the event very insightful and look forward to going again next year
- Consistently good event
- Looking forward to next year already
- It’s just brilliant for networking and getting new contacts
- Fantastic speakers, great programme
- Overall really excellent. It is the first national conference I have attended and would look forward to attending in the future. Got a lot out of the programme
- Great networking and BUZZ!