• progress to the higher level HFMA/CETAD Certificate of Achievement in Mentoring Practice.
• develop the skills and knowledge which have a specific application to the role of mentor or coach, but have a wider application in managerial and organisational development.
• contribute to their Continuing Professional Development
• network and work together with colleagues from other organisations
• promote partnership working
• share expertise and knowledge with less experienced finance colleagues
• learn from working through problems and issues with others
Who should attend?
This programme is suitable for those wishing to gain a better understanding of mentoring and coaching and to develop their skills as a mentor or coach.
Application in the Work Context:
Prior to commencing, participants are advised to identify a ‘client’ with whom they can work during the period of the programme, so they have the opportunity to put their learning into practice. This is not, however, a requirement, and will not prevent a participant from benefitting from the programme.
• Organisational Context
• Understanding the ‘client’
• Tools and Techniques
• Principles and Processes
• Skills development
What Previous Participants have said About the HFMA Mentoring Scheme:
“….especially developed personal confidence and focused on what I need to do to become a Director of Finance”
“Provided an opportunity for personal reflection/development, provided an ‘informal friend’, a sounding board”
“Particularly enjoyed the networking and encouragement from both my mentor and the other mentees; the opportunity to share experiences and challenges outside my own organisation and get a wider perspective of the NHS and DoF role”.
“Benefitted from the support of my mentor through a difficult period of organisational change”.
“Helped me to prioritise my workload and gain a more strategic outlook”.
“It encouraged me to assess my current position and focus on planning my career”.
“The programme has helped me to ground my knowledge and understanding of mentoring as a support and development mechanism and it has made me think more clearly about how I engage with my staff on career development and issue resolution in our own local work setting…. It has also given me an insight into how different bits of the health service operate”.
“An excellent course. Good to have time to reflect”.
“I was very happy that the course met my expectations and I have learnt a lot from it”.
“This is a scheme where confidentiality is vital. It is about supporting colleagues but in a way which is separate from and does not impinge on the management process.
Having gained an insight into “mentoring done well” I am keen to continue and promote it”