The size of the financial challenge in the NHS is increasing rapidly. The demand for services is unprecedented. The public have ever higher expectations and are significantly better informed. Safety and dignity are paramount. These are challenging times.
But, it is said that real change only comes in times of adversity – for many this is seen as a great time of opportunity. We are seeing innovation and creative thinking all over the NHS but especially in the provider sector. As our colleagues in Commissioning get to grips with their new roles and responsibilities, providers can help drive change in patient pathways and models of delivery to make real improvements in quality as well efficiency. The Finance Director and finance department have a pivotal role to play in this work. Using our unique skills to support clinicians to understand the financial context and to foster good working relationships, we can have a real impact in transforming healthcare.
This is the 10th year of the HFMA’s Foundation Trust Conference and will be our biggest and best yet. We will focus on the considerable challenges facing us all, but also celebrate the success of the first decade of the FT sector. We will hear from policy makers and the leaders of organisations that affect our organisations’ destiny and also our peers who are pioneering work that will ensure our resilience through the stormy waters that lie ahead.
Aimed at both authorised, applicant and aspirant FTs – this is the annual event for all those with an interest in finance in the provider sector – be it in acute, mental health, ambulance, community or any combination. The programme is designed for Directors of Finance and their finance staff, but other senior board leaders, and senior managers may also find value from the programme.
Planned speakers include:
• Rt Hon Stephen Dorrell, MP & Former Secretary of State for Health
• David Flory CBE, Chief Executive, NHS TDA
• John Matheson, Director: Health Finance, eHealth and Pharmaceuticals, Scottish Government
• Prof Sir Mike Richards, Chief Inspector of Hospitals, Care Quality Commission
• David Bennett, Chief Executive, Monitor
• Paul Baumann, Director of Finance, NHS England (invited)
• David Mobbs, Chief Executive, Bupa (invited)
• Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Chairman & Senior Consultant Cardiac Surgeon, Narayana Hrudayalaya Health City (invited)
Our after dinner speaker will be Hugh Dennis, comedian, actor, writer, impressionist and voice-over artist. Best known for his role as the father on the BBC One sitcom Outnumbered, his position as a permanent panellist on the TV satirical comedy show Mock the Week and being one half of Punt and Dennis on their long-running Radio 4 satire show The Now Show.
This conference will give delegates the opportunity to:
• Discover the views of some of the most respected speakers in the sector
• Develop a greater understanding of a range of key issues facing the sector
• Share knowledge and experience and learn from other practitioners and experts in the field
• Engage in lively debate and discussion, sharing experiences and issues
• Attend practical, topical and highly relevant sub-plenary sessions
• Benefit from the biggest and most comprehensive exhibition in the conference’s history
• Network with colleagues from across the country, catch up with old acquaintances and make new contacts in a relaxed and informal environment
to download a copy of the flyer and booking form